Plant Monitoring System
Real time plant monitoring system to view temperature, light exposure and moisture.
This is a simple plant monitoring system made using the MKR1000, Standard Firmata Wifi sketch along with Johnny-Five and Node.
I started off by loading the MKR1000 with the StandardFirmataWifi sketch. This will allow us to communicate with the board using Johnny-Five.
- Open Arduino IDE
- File -> Examples -> Firmata -> StandardFirmataWifi
- Switch to the 2nd tab ‘wifiConfig.h’
- Read the comments and set options to match your device. For the MKR1000 I had to comment out Step 1 option A and uncomment option B. Then scroll down and configure you SSID and password for your wifi. You can set your ip address for the board to be static if needed. Below are the lines in wifiConfig.h that I had to change for my home wifi setup.
//#define ARDUINO_WIFI_SHIELD char ssid = "Wish I had Google Fiber"; char wpa_passphrase = "mkr1000wifi";
- Switch back to the first tab ‘StandardFirmataWifi’
- Compile and Upload sketch to MKR1000
Next, I created a web app using node and express. This will allow us to run Johnny-Five, an open source Firmata protocol based framework, allowing for easy communication between the MKR1000 and my node app.
Then, I created a basic dashboard where users can view the current sensor data that is being streamed from the MKR1000 to the client in real time. I’m using WebSockets to emit the sensor data to the clients every second.
The user may also click through on any of the sensor readings to view the complete history for that particular sensor. This view renders 2 graphs, the top graph being a zoomed in version of the total readings, and the bottom graph is the complete historical data for that sensor. The user can select a range on the bottom graph which updates the top ‘detailed’ graph for the selected range. These charts display data that is saved to a RethinkDB every 10 seconds.
Read more: Plant Monitoring System
JLCPCB – Prototype 10 PCBs for $2 + 2 days Lead Time
China’s Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 300,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Per Day
Inside a huge PCB factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCznQFV-Mw
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- plant monitoring system arduino project
- plant monitoring system in arduino