Arduino + fischertechnik TX-C – Connecting I2C True Colour Sensor
Colour reading is a real issue for industrial models.
I’ve been working on it for more than 12 months now, since December 2009.
After many months of hard work,
• starting with the standard colour reader (season 1 ) with features a red LED,
• adding extra light from bulb lamps (season 2 ),
• using a powerful external white LED lamp (season 3 ),
• changing the built-in standard red LED for a white LED (season 4 ),
• I decided to go digital with an I2C 4 channels 10 bits sensor.
There are two challenges:
• manage the I2C sensor on Arduino,
• pass the information on to the fischertechnik controller.
Step 1: Technical Solution
On the Arduino side, I’m using:
• Inventor’s Kit for Arduino (Sparkfun KIT-10173 )
• Logic Level Converter (Sparkfun BOB-08745 )
• Color Light Sensor Evaluation Board (Sparkfun SEN-08663 ) based on Avago ADJD-S371-Q999
• Opto-isolator Breakout (Sparkfun BOB-09118 )
The Avago ADJD-S371-Q999 is a four channels, red, green, bleu and clear, 10 bits colour sensor with built-in white LED.
The Robo TX controller is I2C capable but, as at today, this feature is under development. So connecting the Avago sensor directly can’t work!
See here for a short comparison between the Arduino and the Robo TX controller.
Step 2: Arduino Side – Hardware
I use the following colours:
• red cable for 5V
• black cable for ground
• blue cable for I2C SCL
• green cable for I2C SDA
• white cable for D0
• yellow cable for D1
I provide the step-by-step cabling:
1• empty board
2• power and I2C connections between Arduino and logic level connector
3• power connections between colour sensor and logic level convertor and 5V for the built-in LED
4• I2C connections between colour sensor and logic level convertor
5• digital connections between Arduino and opto-isolator
6• cables from opto-isolator to the fischertechnik TX controller
For more detail: Arduino + fischertechnik TX-C – Connecting I2C True Colour Sensor
For All Your PCB Need, One-stop PCB Solution Services Appear:
EasyEDA: free PCB design tool, 200,000+ engineers are using
PCBs: 10pcs 2-layer 10x10cm only $8.21, on-time global shipping
Components: save 50% on cost, save on freight if shipped with ordered PCBs
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- tubekitty solo