Programming the ATtiny85 (Using an Arduino Uno)
Today, we are going to build a circuit to program an ATtiny85 with our Arduino.
We are going to need the following:
- Some jumper wires
- 1 x 10 micro farad capacitor
- The ATtiny85 Chip
- A breadboard
- An Arduino
For Extra visual’s (that are not really required) I’m going to add:
- 3 LED’s
- 1 x 330 Ohm Resistor
- And some extra jumper cables
Before we start with the circuit build, head over to the Arduino IDE.
Open the Sketch ArduinoISP from the File, Examples and ArduinoISP menus:
- Verify and upload this sketch to your Arduino
The Arduino software does not natively support the ATtiny85 so we need to add support for it.
- Open the Preferences Dialog from the File menu.
- Put the link into the “Additional Boards Manager URL“.
- Click OK!
- Open the Boards Manager from the Tools, Board Menus
- Select the ATtiny from the list once the software has updated
Note that you will require an internet connection for the ATtiny board manager to download.
- Search for ATtiny, either manually scrolling down the list, or typing “attiny” in the filter field.
- Click Install the (Use the latest version).
Lets set up the program to use the Arduino as a programmer.
- Select Arduino as ISP from the Tools, Programmer Menus
- Select ATtiny from the Tools, Board Menus
- Select ATtiny85 from the Tools, Processor Menus
- I’m selecting 16Mhz Internal from the Tools, Clock Menu
The chip has 8 pins, to program the ATtiny85 we are interested only 6 of them MISO, MOSI, SCK, RESET, Ground, and Positive.
If you look closely at the chip you will see a dot. This is Pin 1. Pin 2 through 8 follow in an anti-clockwise order around the chip.
Conveniently the headers on the Arduino are easy to work with to program the ATtiny85.
For more detail: Programming the ATtiny85 (Using an Arduino Uno)
JLCPCB – Prototype 10 PCBs for $2 (For Any Color)
China’s Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 600,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Daily
How to Get PCB Cash Coupon from JLCPCB: https://bit.ly/2GMCH9w
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- program a attiny with an arduino nano
- PROGRAMMING ATTINY85 WITH ARDUINO UNO