Proximity sensor, gesture and ambient light sensing (ALS) module
The VL6180X is the latest product based on ST’s patented FlightSense™technology. This is a ground-breaking technology allowing absolute distance to be measured independent of target reflectance. Instead of estimating the distance by measuring the amount of light reflected back from the object (which is significantly influenced by color and surface), the VL6180X precisely measures the time the light takes to travel to the nearest object and reflect back to the sensor (Time-of-Flight).
Combining an IR emitter, a range sensor and an ambient light sensor in a three-in-one ready-to-use reflowable package, the VL6180X is easy to integrate and saves the end-product maker long and costly optical and mechanical design optimizations.
The module is designed for low power operation. Ranging and ALS measurements can be automatically performed at user defined intervals. Multiple threshold and interrupt schemes are supported to minimize host operations.
Host control and result reading is performed using an I2C interface. Optional additional functions, such as measurement ready and threshold interrupts, are provided by two programmable GPIO pins.
- Three-in-one smart optical module
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient Light Sensor
- VCSEL light source
- Fast, accurate distance ranging
- Measures absolute range from 0 to above 10 cm (ranging beyond 10cm is dependent on conditions)
- Independent of object reflectance
- Ambient light rejection
- Cross-talk compensation for cover glass
- Gesture recognition
- Distance and signal level can be used by host system to implement gesture recognition
- Demo system available: P-NUCLEO-6180X1 evaluation board
- Ambient light sensor
- High dynamic range
- Accurate/sensitive in ultra-low light
- Calibrated output value in lux
For More Details: Proximity sensor, gesture and ambient light sensing (ALS) module