Chronos 1.4, Everyone’s High-Speed Camera
The Canadian Kron Technologies, led by its founder David Kronstein, has just launched a brand-new camera: Chronos.
Chronos 1.4 is a purpose-designed, professional high-speed camera. It enables you to capture stunning high-speed video at up to 1280×1024 resolution thanks to its 1.4 gigapixel-per-second throughput. Its frame rate ranges from 1,057fps at full resolution, up to 21,600fps at minimum resolution.
David is an electronics engineer specializing in digital systems, FPGAs, and image processing. His passion for high-speed imaging began in 2006 since he was unable to afford a high-speed camera at the time. Starting from the belief that high-speed imaging should be for everyone, David wanted to disrupt the high-speed video industry with Chronos. Chronos is about 1/10th the price of similar professional camera ($25000), plus it has more features and better usability. Renting a traditional camera that has similar features for 2 weeks may cost you more than getting Chronos!
David started a campaign on Kickstarter for his amazing camera, check the campaign video
- 1.4Gpx/s, 1.3 megapixel image sensor captures 1280×1024 @ 1057 fps, and up to 21600 fps at lower resolution.
- Available in color and monochrome.
- 8GB or 16GB memory options for 4 or 8 second record time respectively.
- High sensitivity of ISO 320-5 120 (Color), 740-11 840 (Monochrome) enables shooting with modest lighting.
- Completely standalone, untethered operation with 1.75hr internal battery.
- Runs indefinitely on AC adapter. “Run-n-Gun” record mode allows you to forget about saving.
- Take bursts of video by holding the shutter button, and the video is automatically saved to card.
- Continuous record mode records normal rate video (60fps) continuously to storage devices while simultaneously recording bursts of high-speed video.
- Focus peaking highlights sharp edges for quick and perfect focus.
Detailed specification can be found at the datasheet.
Here’s some highlights and demo videos captured using Chronos. More demos here.
Read more: Chronos 1.4, Everyone’s High-Speed Camera