OpenEmbed Releases em3399 Rockchip RK3399 SoM plus an Evaluation Kit
The RK3399 processor from Rockchip has seen adoption in some boards in recent times. The Rockchip RK3399 processor has been deployed on boards like the Odroid-N1 board, Firefly’s Firefly-RK3399, the Theobroma RK3399-Q7 SoM, and more recently the Shenzhen Xunlong’s Orange Pi RK3399.
The RK3399 is a low power, a high-performance processor for computing, personal mobile internet devices, and other smart device applications. Based on Big Little architecture, it integrates dual-core Cortex-A72 and quad-core Cortex-A53 with a separate NEON coprocessor and also a Mali T860 MP4 GPU all in one single package. It is the processor to beat and due to its display capabilities has made it seen applications in TV Boxes especially in China.
If you are still on the lookout for a system-on-module based on Rockchip RK3399, then another SoM to put for consideration is the OpenEmbed em3399. OpenEmbed has launched their first system-on-module referred to as the em3399 SoM board and even comes with an optional “emPAC-RK3399-EVB” evaluation board.
The em3399 SoM supports 2GB to 4GB DDR3L RAM and 16GB to 128GB eMMC 5.1. It provides support for HDMI 2.0, DisplayPort 1.2, MIPI-DSI (dual-channel) and eDP 1.3 display interfaces. It comes with a 2x MIPI-CSI camera interface, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0, USB type C, USB 2.0, SPi, i2C, GPIO and several others.
The following are some of the specifications of the OpenEmbed em3399:
- SoC – Rockchip RK3399 hexa-core processor with 2x Cortex-A72 cores, 4x Cortex-A53 cores, and an Arm Mali-T860MP4 GPU
- System Memory – 2GB or 4GB DDR3L RAM
- Storage – 16GB to 128GB eMMC 5.1 flash
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet transceiver (Atheros AR8033)
- Power Management – Rockchip RK808D PMIC
- 2x 120-pin board-to-board connectors (0.8mm pitch)
- Camera – 2x MIPI-CSI (up to 13MP or dual 8MP); VOP (up to 5MP)
- Audio – S/PDIF output, 8-channel I2S, HDMI and DP
- Connectivity – Gigabit Ethernet
- USB – 2x USB 3.0 host ports or 2x USB type C, 2x USB 2.0 host
- 1x PCI-e x1
- 5x SPI, 8x I2C, 100+ GPIOs
- HDMI 2.0 port with audio for up to 4K @ 60Hz
- DisplayPort 1.2 with audio for up to 4K @ 60Hz
- MIPI-DSI (dual-channel) at up to 2560×1600 @ 60 Hz
- eDP 1.3 (4-lane)
- Dimensions – 84 x 55 mm