How to Interface Stepper Motor With Arduino
Step 1: Introduction
Bipolar Stepper Motor is DC motor that move in discrete steps. It has multiple coils that are organized in groups called “phases”. By energizing each phase in sequence, the motor will rotate, a step at a time. In order to be able to move the motor, you will need a motor driver. Thus, stepper motor driver A4988 is designed to play this role. A4988 stepper motor driver comes with heat sink. This stepper motor driver lets you control one bipolar stepper motor at up to 2 A output current per coil.
Specificaations of Bipolar Stepper Motor:
- Origin: China
- Model: 42HD04
- Low cost, small size
- 4 lead wire
- 1.8 deg/ step
- Torque: 2.8kg.cm
- Size: 33mm x 42mm x 42mm
- Voltage being applied and test: 6V to 12V
Specifications of Stepper Motor Driver A4988:
- Simple step and direction control interface
- Five different step resolutions: full-step, half-step, quarter-step, eight-step, sixteen-step
- Adjustable current control lets you set the maximum current output with a potentiometer which lets you use voltage above your stepper motor’s rated voltage to achieve higher step rates.
- Intelligent chopping control that automatically selects the correct current decay mode (fast decay or slow decay)
- Over-temperature thermal shutdown, under-voltage lockout, and crossover-current protection
- Short-to-ground and shorted-load-protection
- Dimension: 20mm x 15mm x 10mm
Step 2: Pin Definition
Step 3: Sample Hardware Installation
Step 4: Sample Source Code
To get the result, please download the sample source code attached below and upload it into Arduino.
Step 5: Procedure (1)
This example is done by driving the 42 Step Stepper Motor device using the Arduino UNO via A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Module. Before connecting the motor power supply to the module, the sample source code must be uploaded first into the Arduino UNO board via USB 2.0 type A male to type B male cable.
Read more: How to Interface Stepper Motor With Arduino
JLCPCB – Prototype 10 PCBs for $2 + 2 days Lead Time
China’s Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 300,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Per Day
Inside a huge PCB factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCznQFV-Mw
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- arduino stepper motor gui interface
- how to interface dc omotor with arduino pdf