The only available radio chip for LoRa on the market has been the SX1272/76 from Semtech up to now. Things have changed and company IMST came up with the new type of radio chip SX1280 which can work on 2.4GHz band and decided to use this chip for their new LoRaWAN Long Range module, the iM282A-L.
The iM282A-L is a compact and low-cost radio module that operates in the 2.4 GHz frequency band and combines the powerful Cortex-M3 MCU with the new ultra long range transceiver SX1280 by company Semtech. It has been specifically designed for battery driven applications and is able to transfer data without any additional amplifiers up to the distance LoS of more than 12 km.
The embedded WiMOD LR Base Plus provides LoRa®-modem functionalities which allow the implementation of proprietary and cost sensitive radio networks with typical topologies like peer-to-peer and star configurations. The embedded radio protocol offers unacknowledged and acknowledged radio packet exchange with optional encryption and automatic power saving for battery driven applications.
Besides the modem services the firmware includes some example features which are typical for the application area of this LoRa® radio modules: a tiny sensor application which demonstrates a periodic sensor data transmission and a remote control with digital input/output via radio communication.
Application areas include:
- Automated Meter Reading
- Home and Building Automation
- Wireless Alarm and Security Systems
- Industrial Monitoring and Control
- Long Range Irrigation Systems
- IoT (Internet of Things)
- Smart Cities
- Frequency range: SRD Band 2.4 GHz
- Modulation: LoRa®, FLRC, (G) FSK
- RF output power: up to +12 dBm (50Ω pad)
- RF data rate: 476 bps to 2.3 Mbps depending on modulation and settings
- RF range: up to 12 000 m (Line of Sight)
- Operating voltage: 1.8 V to 3.6 V
- Current consumption: 0.8 µA (module in sleep, RTC off), 2 μA (module in sleep, RTC running), 9 mA (Rx, MCU sleep), 34 mA (Tx @ 3.0 V/ +12 dBm, MCU sleep), 25 mA (Tx @ 3.0 V/ +8 dBm, MCU sleep)
- Interfaces: UART (default), SPI*, I²C*
- IO’s: Digital IOs, Analog Inputs
- Dimension (LxWxH): 20 x 25 x 3.3 mm
- Operating temperature: -40°C to +85°C