High Voltage-Current Half Bridge Driver Using IR2153 & IGBT
IGBT based half bridge board has been designed for multiple applications, like induction heater driver, tesla coil driver, DC-DC converters, SMPS etc. High current and high voltage IGBTs are used to serve high power requirements.
IGBT NGTB40N120FL2WG from ON semi and IR2153 from Infineon semiconductor are important parts of the circuit, IR2153 is a gate driver IC including inbuilt oscillator, 40A/1200V IGBT can handle large current. Gate driver circuit works with 15V DC and load supply 60V DC to 400V DC.
The IR2153D(S) are an improved version of the Popular IR2155 and IR2151 gate driver ICs, and incorporate a high voltage half-bridge gate driver with a front end oscillator similar to the industry standard CMO 555 timer. The IR2153 provides more functionality and is easier to use than previous ICs. A shutdown feature has been designed into the CT pin, so that both gate driver outputs can be disabled using a low voltage control signal. In addition, the gate driver output pulse widths are the same once the rising under voltage lockout threshold on VCC has been reached, resulting in a more stable profile of frequency vs time at startup. Noise immunity has been improved significantly, both by lowering the peak di/dt of the gate drivers, and by increasing the under voltage lockout hysteresis to 1V. Finally, special attention has been played to maximizing the latch immunity of the device, and providing comprehensive ESD protection on all pins.
Oscillation frequency adjustable by onboard Trimmer potentiometer, frequency spans approx. 12 KHz to 100 KHz, duty cycle 50%.
400V – 5A Power Supply For Brushless Motor Drivers is a suitable power supply for this driver.
- Note 1: The circuit is provided with few extra components which may be used as per application requirement other components can be omitted as stated in BOM
- Note 2: Frequency span is determined by CT Capacitor (C8) and Trimmer Pot value, refer to datasheet for appropriate value for required frequency span. C8 1Kpf, R5=7k5 and PR1=50K provide frequency span 12 kHz to 100 kHz.
- Note 3: Other Mosfet or IGBT can be used as per your current and voltage requirement.
- Note 4: This board also can be used as half bridge driver using IR2101/IR2104 and Mosfet, Header CN3 Pin1 HIN, Pin2 LIN, Omit following components R5, PR1, C8 to use IR2101/IR2105
- Note 5: IGBTs require large size heat sink.
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- ir2153 arduino
- 555 igbt driver
- arduino gate driver code