Zeta is a Single Board Computer (SBC) from Diamond Systems that combines a COM Express Mini Type 10 module based on Apollo Lake or Bay Trail SoCs with a DAQ-rich carrier, and a heat spreader mounted below. The Zeta COM Express Mini Type 10 supports the quad-core Atom E3940 and Pentium N4200 from Intel’s Apollo Lake generation, as well as a dual-core Atom E3825 from the earlier Bay Trail family. Measures 84mm by 55mm, Diamond, Creators of Zeta do not promote their creation as a standalone Computer -on-Module product mostly because of its extra add-ons and functionality.
According to Diamond, the 84 x 55mm Zeta offers functionality and performance equivalent to Diamond’s Bay Trail-based Aries PC/104 SBC, at just 40 percent of its 116 x 102mm size.
The Zeta processor choice can be obtained in two Stock Keeping Units (SKUs), one has 16x DIO lines while the other has an FPGA-driven data acquisition circuit that replaces the 16x DIO with a 27x DIO connector. The second SKU also adds 4x channels of 16-bit digital outputs, eight 32-bit timers, 16x channels of 16-bit analog inputs among other features.
The Zeta offers 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB RAM depending on the type of processor chosen. There’s also a microSD slot, as well as a mini-PCI express slot with mSATA support. Standard features include 2x GbE, VGA, LVDS, USB 3.0, 4x USB 2.0, and 4x RS-232/422/485. It also comes with an optional daughter board to act as an expansion set. The daughter board has a full-size mini-PCI express slot, an M.2 M-key 2242 for an SSD, and audio I/O.
General Specifications for the Zeta Serial Board Controller are:
- Processor — Intel Apollo Lake or Bay Trail:
- Atom x5-E3940 — 4x Apollo Lake cores @ 1.6GHz/1.8GHz; 9W TDP
- Pentium N4200 — 4x Apollo Lake cores @ 1.1GHz/2.5GHz; 6W TDP
- Atom E3825 — 2x Bay Trail cores @ 1.33GHz; 6W TDP
- Memory & Storage:
- 2GB (E3825), 4GB (E3940) or 8GB (N4200) RAM
- MicroSD slot (bootable for Linux)
- mSATA via mini-PCIe slot
- M.2 M-key 2242 for SSD on an optional daughterboard
- Display — VGA; LVDS
- Networking — 2x Gigabit Ethernet
- Expansion Options:
- Mini-PCIe slot with PCIe, USB, and mSATA support.
- Expansion daughterboard:
- Full-size mini-PCIe slot with PCIe and USB
- HD audio (Realtek ALC892) line-in, mic-in, line-out
- 16x DIO (via I2C) with configurable 3.3V/ 5V logic levels and Pull-up/down resistors
- Other I/O:
- USB 3.0
- 4x USB 2.0
- 4x RS-232/422/485 (software-programmable with termination)
- 16x DIO with selectable 3.3V/5V logic levels
- Optional DAQ circuit (separate SKU):
- 27x DIO with selectable 3.3V/5V logic levels (replaces original 16x DIO)
- 16x 16-bit analog inputs
- +/-10V, +/-5V, 0-10V, and 0-5V input ranges
- 100KHz max sample rate with 2048-sample FIFO
- 8x differential voltage inputs
- 4x channels of 16-bit analog outputs
- 8x 32-bit counter/timers.
- 4x 24-bit PWMs
- Power — Optional 9-36V input
- Operating temperature — -40°C to 85°C
- Dimensions — 84mm x 55mm (COM Express Mini Type 10)
- Operating system — supports Linux (Ubuntu 16.04) and Windows 10 IoT with optional SDKs
- Other features — watchdog; heat spreader; dev kit version with cables and SDKs