RC Car to Robot using arduino
Converting an RC car into a robot is a quick and easy way to get started with robotics. At the very least, when you get bored of playing with your remote control car after three days, you can turn it into a robot that will do all of your evil bidding. Well, maybe not all of it, but at least a sizable amount.
In this Instructable I will go over the bare minimum you need to get started. Think of it as a template for making a basic robot that can be expanded with sensors, code, and additional hardware to do some really amazing things. You can now impress your family, make new friends, and scare your pets with the power of robot magic
Step 1: Go Get Stuff
You will need:
(x1) R/C Monster Truck (Radioshack #60-646)
(x1) Arduino Uno REV 3 (Radioshack #276-128)
(x1) Arduino Motor Shield (Radioshack #276-131)
(x1) Parallax Ping Sensor (Radioshack #276-136)
(x1) Heavy-Duty 9V Snap Connectors (Radioshack #270-324)
(x1) Size M Coaxial DC Power Plug (Radioshack #274-1569)
(x1) Multipurpose PC Board with 417 Holes (Radioshack #276-150)
(x1) 90-Ft. UL-Recognized Hookup Wire (Radioshack #278-1221)
(x1) Enercell® Alkaline 9 Volt Battery (Radioshack #25-853)
(x1) 6″ Heat-Shrink Tubing (Radioshack #278-1627)
(x1) 5-1/2″ Zip Ties (Radioshack #278-1631)
Step 2: Remove the Cover
Flip the RC car over and remove the two screws holding the cover in place.
Put these screws aside somewhere safe for later reassembly.
Step 19: Wire it up
The ping sensor:
- Connect the green wire from the Ping sensor to digital pin 7.
- Connect the black wire from the Ping sensor to ground.
- Connect the red wire to the power input screw socket on the motor shield.
The front turn motor:
- Connect the red wire from the front motor to+ port on channel B of the motor shield.
- Connect the black wire from the front motor to – port on channel B of the motor shield.
The rear drive motor:
- Connect the red wire from the rear motor to the + port on channel A of the motor shield.
- Connect the black wire from the rear motor to – port on channel A of the motor shield.
The motor shield:
- Connect the 5V socket to the power input power screw socket on the motor shield (in addition to the Ping power wire already connected).
- Connect the ground socket on the shield to the input ground screw socket on the motor shield
For more detail: RC Car to Robot