Programmable auto filter interface for C64 using Arduino
A software / hardware combo that allows for control of the analog filter inside a Commodore 64 that is running Cynthcart from a host computer (eg, Macbok, PC).
• 16-step filter sequencer
• Set the speed of the filter sequence (with intervals between values reaching 2ms)
• Set the length of the sequence from 1 to 16 beats
• Offset value allows for shifting the filter values up or down on a larger scale
• MIDI mode allows sending data directly to control the filter (this mode disables the sequencer)
Download the Max/MSP patch here:
It requires Max/MSP runtime which can be downloaded from http://www.cycling74.com/.
The hardware is very simple, and is based around an Arduino board that is using a bit-banging SPI technique to write data to a 100KΩ digital pot (model MCP42100). Approximately 7 of the 8 bits of data actually change the value of the filter (this could be due to the resistance value of the pot).
Any microcontroller that can either do SPI natively or through bit-banging should be able to handle this simple operation.
• J1 1 to 14 refers to Arduino digital pins 0 to 13
• The datasheet for the MCP42100 recommends a 0.1uF or similar capacitor to smooth out the power supply. However, this has not been an issue.
/* INITIALISATION */
int SS1 = 2; // set slave select 1 pin
int CLK = 3; // set clock pin
int MOUT = 4; // set master out, slave in pin
byte cmd_byte0 = B00010001; // command byte to write to pot 0, from the MCP42XXX datasheet
byte cmd_byte1 = B00010010; // command byte to write to pot 1, from the MCP42XXX datasheet
byte cmd_byte2 = B00010011; // command byte to write to pots 0 and 1, from the MCP42XXX datasheet
byte work; // setup a working byte, used to bit shift the data out
For more detail: Programmable auto filter interface for C64 using Arduino
JLCPCB – Prototype 10 PCBs for $2 (For Any Color)
China’s Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 600,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Daily
How to Get PCB Cash Coupon from JLCPCB: https://bit.ly/2GMCH9w
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms: