CustomKeys using an Arduino
CustomKeys is a customizable, Arduino-based, polyphonic synthesizer. The CustomKeys keyboard uses capacitive touch sensing – each key is made of a conductive material which, when touched, signals the synthesizer to emit a tone from the speaker. The CustomKeys library allows the user to choose an 8-note musical scale for the keys. Furthermore, users have a creative choice on the body design of their CustomKeys synth – users can use a provided laser cutter template or use any other material long as the basic requirements for the system to function are met.
Special thanks to:
– Joe Marshall, whose code for the Arduino Octosynth (http://www.cs.nott.ac.uk/~jqm/?p=605) is the basis of the CustomKeys library
– Instructables user blinkyblinky for documenting how to assemble the Arduino Octosynth http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Arduino-OctoSynth/
– Jumper cables (preferable to wires, but wires work just fine)You may find that the output sound is too quiet with the speaker alone.
In this case, you may want to build an amplifier circuit. Here are the parts you will need:
– An n-type MOSFET (I used an IRF9530)
– Two 100 Ohm resistors
– A 1.2K Ohm resistor
– A .47uF film capacitor
– A 220 uF electrolytic capacitor
*Part of the box template was made with Rahul Bhargava’s BoxMaker http://boxmaker.rahulbotics.com/
Step 2: Keyboard Assembly (Without Laser Cutter Template)
If you’re using the laser cutter template, please skip to step 4.
Make a cool keyboard design using the colorful pieces of card stock. I like to fold my paper in half along the short edge, then along the long edge. Then, while it’s still folded, I cut my paper down the fold I made along the short edge (refer to the images for clarification). This yields two greeting card shaped pieces of paper. I only use one of them. Next, I take another color of cardstock, cut little rectangular shapes for the keys, and glue them onto one side of the card shaped paper (refer to the images).
Feel free to be creative with this part. Make a monster, a garden of flowers, or an original creation with card stock shapes. Try to make a design that will look nice with the conductive items that you will use for keys. **The folded part of the card shaped paper will be the top of the synth, so please plan your design accordingly. **
For more detail: CustomKeys using an Arduino
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- https://yandex ru/clck/jsredir?from=yandex ru;search;web;;&text=&etext=1834 _t9SMWr-eYDc1IWJvg1RGD48RJhIbfSfr0d0HFDm0cTw3YmiiROUyg2Jj2KgSz5o 7be75cc076563eeb8e3ce009101c3059f188cc11&uuid=&state=_BLhILn4SxNIvvL0W45KSic66uCIg23qh8iRG98qeIXme
- Keyboard In arduino PDF