Re:Load Pro – A DC active load
A constant current load for testing your projects. 6 amps, 60 volts and 25 watts in a workbench-friendly package with a USB interface.
What is the Re:load Pro, and why do I need one?
The Re:Load Pro is an active load. It acts as a current sink, always drawing the same amount of current regardless of the voltage across it.
Active loads are incredibly useful for all sorts of electronics testing requirements. You can use one to see how a power supply performs under load, check if a battery lives up to its manufacturer’s specifications for capacity or current draw, test motor drivers, or a variety of common constant-current tasks, such as testing LEDs, or even doing electroplating. With computer control of the load, you can even do your own IV-curve tracing.
The original Re:load was born out of my frustration at being unable to find a reasonably priced active load for my fairly modest testing needs. Commercial units typically cost several hundred or even thousand dollars and require substantial bench space – far from ideal for a hobbyist.
The Re:load has turned out to be an incredibly useful device for many people, but while its minimalist feature set is well suited to some applications, often you want something with a bit more oomph, better precision, or extra features. That’s where the Re:load Pro comes in.
The Re:load Pro takes the robust design of the original Re:load and rebuilds it around a microcontroller. As a result, it offers a USB interface for power and control/monitoring, a good quality backlit display, and accurate voltage and current measurement. And that’s just for starters!
The Re:load Pro’s features include:
- Dissipate 25 watts continuously, or more for short periods. Even more with the forthcoming fan kit (see below!)
- Handle up to 6 amps or 60 volts. Works right down to 0V, too!
- Easy to use and intuitive user-interface.
- Current adjustable with milliamp precision over the whole range.
- Protection against overcurrent, overvoltage, overtemperature, ESD, and reverse polarity.
- Power supplied over USB from either a computer or a USB charger.
- Fully isolated USB interface. Your computer is isolated from any direct interaction with dangerous voltages and currents.
- Fully controllable over USB, with monitoring functionality. You can use your computer to program in a profile!
- Configurable display, showing voltage, current, power, resistance, and total energy dissipated.
- Open Source, with a USB bootloader, so you don’t need expensive development tools if you want to make your own modifications. Firmware updates will be easy to install, too!
I’ve saved the best feature for last: You can have one of your own, soon! Since two production prototypes have already been produced, and the manufacturing chain lined up, there’s no nine to twelve month wait here; we can start production as soon as the Kickstarter concludes, getting units into your hands as little as 2 months from today!
For more detail: Re:Load Pro – A DC active load
JLCPCB – Prototype 10 PCBs for $2 + 2 days Lead Time
China’s Largest PCB Prototype Enterprise, 300,000+ Customers & 10,000+ Online Orders Per Day
Inside a huge PCB factory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XCznQFV-Mw
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- active load arduino