We have published lots of interesting arduino projects like GSM based Fire Alarm System , Line Following Robot, RFID Based Access Control System and many other useful projects. This time, we are publishing a highly useful home application – Gas Leakage Detector using Arduino and GSM Module with SMS Alert and Sound Alarm. We have published an LPG Sensor Project using Arduino and MQ2 sensor before – which senses lpg leak and produces sound alarm. The project also has a relay system which turns ON or OFF a particular device upon gas leak (say we can turn the main electrical supply OFF upon gas leak to prevent fire).
So let’s come to our project!
Objectives of the Project
- Detect Gas Leakage (like LPG leak, Butane leak, Methane leak) or any such petroleum based gaseous substance that can be detected using MQ5 Sensor.
- Setup an SMS based Alert Mechanism and send 3 SMS (3 alert messages) to 2 specified mobile numbers (input inside the arduino program)
- Produce a sound alarm upon gas leak and stop the alarm once gas leak is under control (gas presence in atmosphere is under normal range)
- Display status in an LCD using a 16×2 LCD module.
Lets begin to build our project – Gas/LPG leakage detector with SMS Alert and Sound Alarm!.
I recommend you read the following tutorials before building this project!
1. Interfacing MQ5 Sensor to Arduino – teaches you how to interface MQ5 LPG sensor to Arduino and read values using analog or digital out pins of the MQ5 module.