There are many types of Robots, from the simple ones like a Toy car to the advanced ones like industrial Robots. We have already covered many types of Robots using different technologies, have a look at them:
- Line Follower Robot using 8051 Microcontroller
- Line Follower Robot using Arduino
- DTMF Controlled Robot using Arduino
- And now we are adding one more Robot in our ‘Robotics Projects’ section, this time we are going to make a Wi-Fi controlled Robot using Arduino and Blynk App. This Arduino based Robot can be controlled wirelessly using any Wi-Fi enabled Android smart phone.
For demonstration of Wi-Fi Controlled Robot, we have used an Android Mobile App named “Blynk”. Blynk is a very compatible app with Arduino, to make IoT based project. This App can be downloaded from the Google Play Store, and can be easily configured.
Steps for configuring Blynk App:
1. First download it from Google Play Store and install it in Android mobile phone.
2. After this, it is required to create an account. You may use your current Gmail account.
3. Now select Arduino Board and give a name for your project.4. Note down the Auth Token Code or simply mail it to your Email Account and then copy and paste in Arduino sketch (Program Code).
- 5. Enter this Auth Token Code in Arduino sketch.
6. Then click on create button in Blynk app.
7. Now Select the Joystick Widget, Click on Joystick, Configure the Joystick (see the Video at the end) and hit the back button.
8. After it press Play button at the right top of screen.
All this process, of using the Blynk App, has been clearly explained in Video, given in the end.
- Arduino UNO
- ESP8266 Wi-Fi Module
- USB Cable
- Connecting wires
- DC Motors
- 10K POT (optional)
- Robot chassis plus wheel
- Roller caster
- Android Mobile phone
- Blynk App
Circuit Diagram of Wi-Fi controlled robot is given below. We mainly need a Arduino and ESP8266 Wi-Fi module. ESP8266’s Vcc and GND pins are directly connected to 3.3V and GND of Arduino and CH_PD is also connected with 3.3V. Tx and Rx pins of ESP8266 are directly connected to pin 2 and 3 of Arduino. Software Serial Library is used to allow serial communication on pin 2 and 3 of Arduino. We have already covered the Interfacing of ESP8266 Wi-Fi module to Arduino in detail.
A L293D Motor Driver IC is used for driving DC motors. Input pins of motor driver IC is directly connected to pin 8, 9, 10 and 11 of Arduino. And DC motors are connected at its output pins. Here we have used 9 Volt battery for driving the Circuit and DC motors.
Working of the Wi-Fi controlled Robot is very easy, we just need to Drag or Slide the Joystick in the direction, where we want to move the Robot. Like if we want to move the Robot in Forward direction then we need to Drag the Joystick ‘circle’ in Forward direction. Likewise we can move the Robot in Left, Right and Backward direction by Dragging the joystick in respective direction. Now as soon as we release the Joystick, it will come back to centre and Robot stops.
Blynk App sends values from Two Axis Joystick to Arduino, through Wi-Fi medium. Arduino receive the values, compare them with predefined values and move the Robot accordingly in that direction.
Read More: WiFi Controlled Robot using Arduino