ESP8266: SSD1306 Oled Library Release
The “ESP8266 OLED SSD1306″ is an open source library which allows you to control those pretty OLED modules from our beloved ESP8266 module. Fabrice Weinberg cleaned up all the ugly pieces of code which I initially wrote caused by my near C/C++ illiteracy. He also added support for Pasko’s BRZO I2C library which is partially written in assembler and allows a much higher throughput over the I2C channel.
Fabrice’s video below compares the the two I2C implementations:
- The font format was refactored for better memory efficiency and the web based font generator (http://oleddisplay.squix.ch/) now lets you generate font files for the older library versions or the new ones
- The hardware protocol level implementations (SPI, I2C) have been separated from the low level graphical functions. This affects how you instantiate the display classes
- To be open for future support of similar displays the core classes were renamed to Oled* instead of SSD1306
- More graphical functions have been added, including drawing of circles, non-vertical lines and a progress bar
- In case you want to use the display for simple log output you can now use print(..) and println(..) and the library will take care of scrolling. See Fabrice’s video below:
For a full list of new features and how to upgrade your existing code please have a look at the comprehensive upgrade guide: https://github.com/squix78/esp8266-oled-ssd1306/blob/master/UPGRADE-3.0.md
Please note: this release will break with your code based on the older 2.0.0 version. In case you have created fonts you’ll have to re-generate them as well. This also affects the Weather Station library!
Many thanks again to Fabrice Weinberg and all other contributors to make this release possible!
Read more: ESP8266: SSD1306 Oled Library Release
This Post / Project can also be found using search terms:
- esp8266 oled