Peak co-founders Dan Makoski and David Khavari stumbled upon a surprisingly powerful idea: a smart lamp that helps people form better habits in small, progressive steps.
How People Use Peak
In addition to being a beautiful lamp, Peak can be used for forming many positive habits, such as:
- Working out, running, and other fitness goals
- Spending quality time with family and friends
- Practicing a musical instrument
- Learning new professional skills
Developing new habits is challenging. We often resist change, even when it’s good for us. Peak cuts through this resistance in three ways:
- First, it gives good habits a physical place in your environment: a glowing lamp that gently attracts attention.
- Second, Peak interacts with you using brief and encouraging messages that rapidly build motivation.
- Third, Peak deliberately takes your goal and turns it into small daily steps that won’t be overcome by natural resistance.
How Peak Works
- Connect the lamp to your smartphone using the Peak configuration app and you’re ready to set up a habit (shown in video above).
- Touch the lamp and Peak sends you an encouraging text message. It recommends a little step towards a larger goal that you’ve either entered yourself or have chosen at Peak’s suggestion.
- Complete a step, then touch or text Peak and it will record your progress and celebrate with a burst of light.
- Schedule text message reminders so that Peak can help you accomplish tasks anywhere.
We came together after leaving separate Silicon Valley fintech projects, frustrated at the difficulty of trying to help people develop good financial habits in an industry that profits from poor ones.
During a hike in the Santa Cruz redwoods we asked the important question, “Can technology help make people better?”
After months of researching the latest in behavioral design research, exploring with a global team of industrial designers, prototyping with a genius team of hardware engineers, and learning (failing 🙂 iteratively along the way, Peak emerged with power and clarity.
We’re so excited to bring Peak to life with the help of the Kickstarter community, and can’t wait to see it improve lives by a little bit each day.
Read more: Peak Smart Lamp – Grow Daily