Automatic Plant watering and Happiness monitoring system
The main motto of this project is to provide automatic water supply to plant when it feels thirsty. We intend to automate the watering of plants and deploy Arduino to do the job for us. This will take care of the water requirements of a plant by continuously monitoring its needs. Also this plant watering system will indicate the happiness level of plant to user ? .
- Arduino Uno Board
- Servo motor
- Moisture sensor
- MAX7219 8×8 LED matrix module
SCHEMATIC DIAGRAM OF PLANT MONITORING SYSTEM:
MAX7219 8×8 LED MATRIX MODULE
I have used a MAX7219 based 8×8 LED matrix module which will make our job pretty easier in driving the dot matrix. Also it will save I/O pins from our Arduino. You can buy one easily from Amazon.in or make one on your own, the choice is up to you. You even can interface the dot matrix directly to Arduino. Here is the circuit for making your own dot matrix module.
The moisture sensor provides an analogue output, which will be fed to Arduino. In this project moisture sensor is connected to analogue pin A0 of the Arduino board. Moisture sensors are widely available in many stores or you can get one from online vendors.
- Arduino reads the moisture value from the sensor.
- If the value reaches the dry threshold, it activates the servomotor.
- As soon as the motor starts pumping water into soil the moisture level gradually rises
- Arduino will test for moisture level repeatedly and when wet soil threshold is reached, it stops the servo from supplying water.
We have written the code in such a way that various range of moisture level in the soil will trigger different reaction in the dot matrix. We have assigned three smileys to indicate the plant condition (so called happiness).
- Happy face -when it have sufficient water
- Sad face- when it needs water supply
- Moderate – when its water level is low